Sunday, December 16, 2012

Home

We came home from the hospital yesterday. Whoo hoo! It couldn't have gone better, except for my car seat oops! I forgot his car seat at home. Thankfully our nurse reminded us that we had Lauren's car seat in Joel's car. That was about the only major hiccup in the day. Logan did great getting home. We put him on his floor blanket upon arrival home and not too long after that he flipped onto his tummy and snuggled in for a rest. Guess he is stronger than we thought! We spent the rest of the day and evening busy with tasks. Our home care nurse kept Logan spiffed up while Joel and I were busy putting away weeks worth of stuff! Logan was so blessed to have so many gifts including stuffed animals, balloons, a fire truck, cards, pictures, and the list goes on. We have a whole new slew of equipment and supplies as well. His bedroom looks like a mini hospital room but it is still his room. His safe haven. There is something magical about a child's room. Something innocent. I have always been able to walk into my kids rooms and feel a sense of peace. During the first few weeks in the hospital, Logan's room was a place I dreaded. I was scared. Scared that I may not bring my baby boy back to his room.(I pause for a couple of tears) Reflecting back on the past 42 days I am reminded of the incredible journey we went on. An emotional roller coaster describes it lightly. There were some dark days that have been thankfully overshadowed by some very amazing and bright days. Our son endured a two hour long febrile seizure, respiratory failure, septic shock, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and the parainfluenza virus. After all that, we left the hospital with a son who now has a tracheostomy. Medically, he is complex and it scares the heck out of me. But he also returns home as my Logan. My wiggle worm, my cuddle bug, my bubba. He is still Logan. Handsome, brown eyed, and innocent. Today Lauren returns home. She told me over the phone last night that she was going to give Logan a big hug. I can't wait! She is so amazing. So strong and courageous. She does not see Logan's disability she sees her brother. I am so proud of how she has handled all of this. So, now on to new challenges. I know the days ahead will not be a piece of cake. We have a staff of nurses to train, a new routine to work out, a medically fragile kiddo to keep healthy, and Christmas to prepare for. I look forward to the new year and a fresh start. Once again, I cannot say thank you enough to all of our supporters. Team Logan is amazing. We are so blessed to have all of you in our lives. I write this post also with a heavy heart knowing the events that transpired this past week in Connecticut. Such a senseless tragedy. I am also thinking of my co-worker who lost her husband this week. All too soon. I don't know how to make sense of any of the loss. What I can do, hug my family a little tighter and thank The Lord for what I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment