Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Dentist

Hello friends! I have been away from blogging for a little while. It seems like months since it was Christmas. I think my false sense of time is due to the marathon I have been on. I was so fortunate to be able to take a leave from work while Logan was in the hospital. My leave ended last week so I spent the time between Christmas and my return to work completing various projects at home. The time was also spent training our nursing staff. We have had some growing pains but I think we are figuring it out. Logan has six dedicated nurses who each had to learn his quirks.

I have returned to work. For those of you who don't know, I am an ER nurse and also work as a charge nurse within the department. My leave ended while influenza was taking off in the community. Lets just say that means high volumes and long wait times. People are really getting sick.   I am still nursing a cold myself that has hung on over a week. Word to the wise, WASH YOUR HANDS. Oh, and cover your cough. And while you are at it, don't stick your hands near your face or your eyes. Ok, so I am starting down the path of paranoia. Lets see, where was I?

Oh yeah, back to work. So I have returned. I survived two shifts but barely. My body was tired and my brain was fried but it was like riding a bike again. I also noticed that I felt different. As I sit here I find myself trying to type what that feeling is. I start a sentence but cannot finish it. I just can't seem to put my finger on it. So I sit here and think. Yes, kinda scary!

I guess part of it is that I have now been on the other side. I have been the family member. I have been the helpless person sitting at the bedside. I have been the one asking for answers. I have been the person pleading to god, shedding tears on the bed railing. It feels so fresh and I guess it is. I am okay with that. Yes, I am vulnerable but I hope that my new perspective can enhance the care I provide. We were so fortunate to have been provided such great care and support. To pay it forward is the least I can do.

Now after that therapy session! On to Mr. Logan and his side kick Miss Lauren. The kids are great! Logan is doing well. It has taken some time for him to adjust and he is still trying to get back into a normal sleep routine. His trach has proven to be a good decision. He battled through his firsts cold with no problem. We are so lucky to have such an awesome team at the pulmonologists office. They have us set up with a whole arsenal of medications at home to give in the event he gets sick. He started with a low fever and some yellow secretions and within 24 hours the majority of his symptoms resolved. He did sleep for almost two days straight but perked up nicely. As for the rest of us, the sickness took a greater toll!

Yesterday Logan had his first outing since coming home from the hospital. We went to the dentist! I was nervous, him not so much. Taking him out is no easy task. Equipment must be ready, supplies stocked, batteries charged, and all scenarios must be thought of. At least I try to think of them all! He slept during the entire appointment!

My biggest goal was to find out if there were any options to combat the tongue biting. Logan bites his tongue daily if not more and is actually doing some damage. Unfortunately there is not much we can do. He would most likely not tolerate a bite guard and it would have to be refitted often. Filing down his teeth would not help either. The only other options are to pull teeth, which really is not an option right now or to medicate him when he is having persistent biting. I wish I knew why he did it. We can guess all we want but he can't tell us. If only it was that simple! So we left with a shiny new toothbrush in hand with orders to brush twice a day. Flossing, lucky him, we can wait until his teeth start touching. Lucky duck!

Lauren is awesome. People are always asking how she is doing and I am so thankful for that. She is getting back into her routine with daycare and preschool. She always asks "how many more sleeps until we go to preschool?" I love how she measures time. Today she asked me how long she had to watch a TV show. I gave her some vague answer. She came back and said, "how about fifteen minutes?". Oh how she makes me laugh! She is adjusting well to having the nurses at all hours. She is learning their names. Now we have to work on getting to bed earlier as she keeps wanting to stay up to see who is coming! One thing at a time.

Up next, Logan has a slew of appointments with his doctors next week. I will post after that if not sooner.

Whew, that was a long post. If you stuck it out till the end, thank you! Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are back in the routine! Best wishes for a healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Rach. You are ONE POWERFUL WOMAN!! Aunt Mickey

    ReplyDelete