Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Seizures

Since I last updated, Logan has seen his neurologist. He thinks Logan's seizure medication (Keppra) may have been causing agitation. Over the past couple of months we have been trying to treat his severe agitation. We started new medications and finally found a regimine that worked. It did make him sleepy but comfortable. His neurologist now has started having us taper off of Keppra and change to a new seizure medication (phenobarbital). We are on step two of the taper and have had the new med on board for at least two weeks. In the last three days he has had one big seizure a day. They are short lived but are increasing in frequency. We seemed to have good control for the past month. I have heard the time during a seizure medication change is hard and that more breakthrough seizures may occur. Hopefully they stay at the degree they are at right now and no more.

Otherwise Logan is doing great. I was the night nurse last weekend when he started down the path of illness. He had a fever and low oxygen levels. After starting his as needed medications he turned around quickly. Thank goodness. Tonight I am the night nurse again. We have some holes in the schedule for various reasons which is always stressful. It is hard to work all day, commute, and then have to stay up all night. I do have to say I enjoy the one on one time with him. It seems I have less and less of that these days. 

I'm praying he rests well tonight. He had a seizure a half hour ago and is pretty zonked now! I have to say, I LOOOOVE his bed. It is a hospital bed with side rails like a crib but no slats, just big panels. We can adjust him into all sorts of positions. When we put him into bed at night, he just melts. I also didn't realize how I would feel when we were able to let him sleep with a pillow. It helped bring some normalcy to his bed. Plus I feel better knowing he has a cushy place to land his head. 

Wish me luck tonight! I'm not the best night shift nurse but I am a pretty good mommy! I let Lauren watch Frozen tonight. I was in Logan's room giving some meds and she started to belt out the song "let it go". He woke up and looked around. The look on his face was priceless, a little confusion, curiosity, and maybe fear. It was hard to tell. I'm sure he is sick of being tortured with the songs! 

Now off to start the midnight feeding! Happy 4th of July to everyone. Stay safe out there and enjoy the holiday!

Rachel

P.S. Here are some photos from Fourth of July last year



No comments:

Post a Comment