Sunday, January 8, 2017

Transition

Ugh, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to start this one. I want to be transparent but don't want to cause worry and pain to others. So if you aren't ready, please don't read this. 

 Things have transitioned with Logan in the last two weeks. We are moving deeper into hospice care and further from our normal day to day management of Logan's needs. He sleeps most of the day. Requires regularly scheduled and as needed pain medications. He is showing symptoms of needing less nutrition and is having periodic shortness of breath. He is also having more difficulty regulating his temperature. We have decreased his feeding volume as his  body is needing less. He is on oxygen many hours of the day as his oxygen saturation levels don't stay above 85%. 

Last week the shortness of breath was becoming more pronounced. It didn't quite make sense as he was not sick. I called his pulmonologists nurse to ask if there were any recommendations they may have to help alleviate the troubles breathing. The voicemail I received in response was kind but was a huge punch in the gut. There is nothing more to do and we were encouraged to continue with our treatments. 

After this call I realized I hadn't yet fully transitioned myself to hospice! I must have been fooling myself thinking there were still things that could be done to keep Logan comfortable and alive. Unfortunately we are now to the point that the things that will help him most are the things that have scared me the most. It is now time to watch him lead us through the next stages. Our response now will change. We will truly begin to aggressively treat his symptoms in a way to create comfort and that may mean to the point where he sleeps all day, has low oxygen levels,  and so on. 

He is going through so many changes at the same time and is not on the normal path of dying. This may be because of his neurodegenerative disorder. We have no one to compare Logan to and have always assumed his journey would be similar to others. Right now it isn't. It's all happening at once and seems to go quickly and then halt to a stop and stay there for days. Torture is my go to word these days.

Our team of nurses and hospice caregivers are working so hard to stay on top of the changes but for me it is simply overwhelming. It is hard to even keep Joel in the loop every time something new happens. I don't know what is part of the normal process and what should cause worry. I am so scared right now. I think I am going to end the post now as the tears are flowing and the pain is just too much. Thank you for all the continued support and prayer. It means so much and often helps carry us through the day. 

7 comments:

  1. (((((Hugs)))) Praying for comfort for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((((Hugs)))) Praying for comfort for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, I can't imagine. I'm praying for you, Logan and your family. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, Logan, and your family. For you all to feels Gods presence and security everyday and know that even on the toughest days he is not leaving Logans side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family....

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one mother to another, I send my deepest thoughts and prayers for you, your family, and Logan for strength and peace. In each day with him, may you enjoy moments of love and togetherness that will stay with you all forever. Hugs Rachel, you are a warrior mother and you are doing an incredibly fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel- we haven't worked together for a few years, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you. It is so hard to be a medical person and not know what to do. But you are doing all the right things. I am wishing you and Logan and your family strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete