Thursday, July 11, 2013

New therapy

Today I received a call from Logan's neurologist office. He will be starting biotin and thiamine therapy. These are both vitamin supplements. I was really unsure of the reasons behind this and the medical secretary had no idea. When we came home, there was a letter in the mail from Mayo Clinic. We are so fortunate to have doctors that send copies of their notes to our home. 

Basically it summed up our visit with the Mayo neurologist with a few addendums related to the plan to treat Logan's movement disorder. The letter also pointed once again to the possibility of a mitochondrial disorder. Mito disorders are often treated with supplements in order to lessen symptoms and or slow the progression of the disease. Hmmm, so are we starting this new treatment with the thought that he may have a mito disorder. Well it is worth a try! 

I have spent the last hour and a half researching mitochondrial disorders, more specifically the mutation that has been found in his mito DNA and now my head is swimming. I was in this same spot last year and feel a little deja vu. I will post tomorrow with more of my thoughts as well as some fun updates on what Logan has been up to this summer! Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment