Thursday, November 20, 2014

Winter has arrived



One of my most recent posts was an emotional one! I tend to do that! I build up the emotions and then let it all hang out in a blog post. The release does feel great but sometimes comes with regret. I know, it is silly to feel bad for being honest! 

Sometimes I feel like I go too far. Well, I'm sick of feeling that way. I have had the great fortune to be part of an amazing resilience program at work. I have learned some awesome techniques to manage stress at work and have also transferred that to my home life. I have been very intentional with my goals and have completed many of them. It feels great to shift my priorities! I plan to keep building on my successes and want to keep the momentum. It feels great to take control of my well being. 

Logan is doing well. Preschool has been going very well this year. The nurses say that he stays awake most of the time at school. I really enjoy seeing his artwork and hearing about his interactions with classmates and what's books are his current favorites. We had his wheelchair adjusted. Logan is 45lbs. He is a BIG boy! He is also on a diet. We have him on new formula that is made from real food. He did have an episode of vomit but since then no issues. We are going to stop advancing his volume as he is meeting enough calories. We don't need to push his tummy any further at this point. True aspiration could be a respiratory disaster for Logan. Best to stay conservative. 

Tomorrow we meet with his county case manager. It is time to discuss home and vehicle modification. It is very difficult to bathe him so a lift system and a new bath tub are needed. He is also quickly outgrowing his car seat. We may have to look at a lift on the van for his wheelchair. He would then stay in his chair and that would be anchored to the floor as we drive. I am a little nervous that our van is a year or two past the age limit of a van for MA to cover. 

These topics stress me out as I worry about the financial impact. I have been trying to put that aside until I know what can or cannot be done. Our house is tough being a multi level home but I think we have some good ideas and options to give him a home that accommodates his needs. 

I have to touch base with genetics soon. They were going to see if the National Institutes of Health's Undiagnosed Disease Clinic would be interested in his case. Honestly a diagnosis has not been high on my list of priorities. It would be nice but not completely necessary. We will see if the door is open or shut to that possibility. 

In the meantime we are in an early winter freeze here in Minnesota. The ground is already covered with snow and the temps are in the teens. The annual freeze in has already begun. I have a feeling Lauren is going to feel couped up one of these days. Thank goodness for swimming. She is doing great learning to hold her breathe under water and learning the basic strokes. I am amazed how the instructors can push the kids out to swim and they just do it! 

She is also a great student. She loves to learn and show off her talents. I enjoy homework time! She is such a sponge these days. So much of one that I may need to make a swear jar. Mommy has rubbed off on her a little bit! I have a feeling my bank account will deplete quickly if I don't clean up my act! 

Here are some recent photos. Hope you enjoy as much as we do in these simple moments? 












No comments:

Post a Comment