Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day at the park

The Park

We finally ventured out of the house with Logan today. He hasn't been any further than the backyard. I have been nervous about taking him out. I don't want him to catch another cold and I dread the thought of taking him out with his oxygen! But it was about time! Marta (one of his nurses), Lauren and I made the adventure to the park. We went to this great park in Maple Grove. It is big and has a ton of fun toys. 

Logan did great. No major hiccups other than him reminding me that he does not like his car seat. Of course the day I chose to take the kids to the park is the day four bus loads of kids are already there! It was crowded that's for sure. Logan spent most of the time with Marta as I fought through the jungle of kids with Lauren. Toward the end of our trip I took Logan and followed Lauren around for a bit. We had a lot of stares. I have to admit I was nervous about that. Lots of parents stared pretty intensely at times (I'm sure that is just my skewed impression!). There was a little boy who asked what was wrong with Logan. I'm sure he was perplexed seeing a boy with oxygen tubing on and a feeding tube hanging out of his clothes. I told him that sometimes it is hard for him to breath. He said "that is so sad". I have to remind myself that most kids have never seen these things on a real person let alone at the park. So there goes Mr. Logan, yet again teaching us all that it is okay to be different and that a child with special needs can be out and about just like the rest.



I was a little bummed out that there were really no toys that Logan could play on. He is so limited because he is so floppy and small. I have to look into seeing if there are any parks in the twin cities for special needs children. All in all we had a successful outing.
 
                                                


The blog

For a while now I have been working on jazzing up the blog. I am sure some of our dedicated followers have noticed my goofy changes. I am hoping this template will stick for a while. I have a few adjustments to make, but otherwise feel pretty good about it. This is definitely a labor of love for me. This blog is my journal, my communicator, and my hobby. Thanks for all the support during my blog journey! 

Wrap up

As a whole Logan is doing well. He is having more good days than challenging days. I am feeling more at ease. The new routine has sunk in. Now I am back to my torturous search for answers. I have been spending my spare time, usually after the family has gone to bed researching possible diagnoses and possible treatments or interventions to alleviate some of his medical problems. I worry every day that his chronic aspiration of saliva is slowly scarring his lungs. I hate seeing him uncomfortable and anxious from all of the saliva he is drowning in. I know my quest for answers may be a futile effort but at least it helps me feel productive. We have a busy couple of months ahead. Lauren turns four in September and Logan turns two in October. Oh and yeah, Joel and I have birthdays coming up too! We have a lot of appointments scheduled for Logan in September and Lauren starts preschool too! I will keep you all posted as usual with our updates. Thank you for all the prayers that were sent our way during Logan's recovery. We sure felt the love! 

P.S. Thank you to Uncle Pat for the lava lamp. It is Logan's new night light! 



No comments:

Post a Comment