Monday, October 8, 2012

Grandma Zacher

Today was a somber day. We honored the life of Joel's Grandma, Rose Zacher. She passed away Monday October 1st. We gathered with family and friends this morning to celebrate her life. I did not realize how far reaching her love was. She had many friends and family sharing story after story of her warmth and kindness. She was a woman that people looked forward to spending time with. I did not have an opportunity to get to know her well because of dementia but I felt as though I knew her from all the stories I heard over the years.

Funny story... Joel and I were heading in the van with the kids up north yesterday. Joel was the driver and I was navigating. Not a good combo! I was engrossed in a game on the iPad and next thing I know, Joel is asking me if we missed a turn. Oops! We ended up having to go about 45 minutes out of the way to get to the hotel. We turned onto the final leg and happened to be two cars behind Joel's sister. Then we passed through the town where Grandma Zacher lived and passed by her house. Joel lit up when we drove through the town. You could see the memories flooding back. The last time we had been on that road was on our way to our honeymoon. Joel thinks Grandma Zacher sent us on that path and I agree! I am a great navigator, I swear!! Except for my other screw up the next day and we can't attribute that to anything but my ditsy brain.

So, today was tough but we know she is in a better place. Like I said, I did not know her well but I married into a family that she helped cultivate and for that I am thankful. She will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment