Sunday, June 24, 2012

Follow up on Logan's MRI

Hello all, I am a little delayed with my update on Logan's MRI this past Friday. We had a fun weekend with Nana so everything else went by the wayside!!!

Logan did great. This time I took Logan into the room where they were going to administer the anesthesia. I got to see them put the mask on with the "gas" and make him nice and sleepy! In the past I haven't liked to go into those rooms because seeing all the equipment worries me as I know what it is all for! I wanted him to know that we weren't abandoning him so it was a nice feeling to take him into the room and be there when he went to sleep.

The anesthesiologist was so nice. She explained everything and really took into account our knowledge as his parents. Afterwards they asked me to come to the recovery room to help them determine if he was ready to go to post op. Normally we wait and when they have recovered him enough they bring him into a room where we can be with him until we are discharged. The nurse wanted me to see him so I could let her know if he was at baseline or not. She seemed a little nervous. I walked into the room and saw him and he looked great. I told her that he sounded great and that he had less secretions than normal. The previous procedure took longer to recover from so I was a little worried, but he popped right out of it. We were only in post op 45 minutes before we were discharged. He looked so good there was no reason to stay. The nurse was a little nervous discharging him so soon so she checked in with the anesthesiologist before we left.

Now we wait and see. They drew quite a few lab tests while we were at the hospital. Apparently it was a big to do. I had to fill out a slip for the genetic testing being sent to Mayo clinic. The nurses checked multiple times with the lab to make sure they had the right blood tubes and even the anesthesiologist had to check in with them as she was the one drawing the blood. One of the operating room nurses called on Saturday to check in and see how Logan was and she said the genetics clinic even called that morning to make sure the right tests were being drawn!! I am so glad to know that so many people are making sure that mistakes are being prevented. The last thing anyone wants to do is tell a parent, "oh by the way, we missed a test so we have to poke your kid again".

I am sure I will hear news regarding the MRI result this week. I did receive a letter from the genetics clinic. It outlines the plan of action. The geneticist spoke with both Logan's neurologist and the Mayo clinic neurologist. The plan is to see what the MRI shows, check his chromosomes (this was sent out), review Logan's cousins records, consider testing him for cerebellar spinal ataxia (this one is out of left field???) and if all are normal to have Logan seen back at Mayo for further evaluation. So as usual I will keep you all posted on our progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment