Monday, June 4, 2012

Wheelchair Loaner

Today Logan got a wheelchair to test out for the next week. It is a slick ride with great head support. It is so small but is sure heavy! This is the model wheelchair. Gillette will be able to make customized changes to his chair when we get it in the next couple of months. This week we need to test it out and make sure it is what we want and to figure out what needs to be changed to fit him if possible.

He fits in it so well and even fell asleep in it at therapy. We took it for a spin to the park too! It has a mount on it that we are also testing out for the week. The mount has a couple options to put communication devices on including and Ipad.

I was such a proud mama when we got to therapy and saw it for the first time. He fits in it like a glove. It will be so awesome to have something to transport him in that will provide the right support and put him up at a level where we can interact better with him. It will also be great at home to have another seating option and a place for him to have his communication devices.

After the appointment I struggled to get the wheelchair into the trailblazer. I didn't realize how heavy it would be. Joel and I are going to get a little more serious about finding a mini van and the PT and case manager from our school/county suggested a ramp that we can buy to get the chair in and out of the vehicle. As I drove home from therapy I was excited and then quickly my mind began to race thinking of all the adjustments that we need to make to accommodate the new chair. I was in mental overdrive and thankfully my Aunt Michele was available to talk. She brought me down a few notches and helped me realize this is all preliminary and that we have time to get ready.

Tonight we took a walk to the park. He did great. I was smiling the whole time thinking about where a new chair will take us. I have to say I also worry that he is moving farther and farther away from the "normal" child and I worry about how he will be treated by others. I wish I didn't have to worry about awkward glances, pointing fingers, and constant questions about why my child is in a wheelchair. So far it has not been that overwhelming. I see Logan and our family as educators on children with special needs. I am always happy to answer questions about our amazing son. He teaches so many people life lessons without even saying a word.

Lauren was great with the new chair too. She did want to get in it at one point but understood that it was too small for her and that she has her own special chairs that Logan can't sit in. When we went to the park it didn't even phase her that he was in the chair. I love that she is in such a self centered time of her life!!



No comments:

Post a Comment