Tuesday, November 6, 2012

End of PICU Day 3



The day is winding down and I have a tuckered out little boy in the crib next to me. He has been on an incredible ride these past few days. To see him breathe easy on his own is such a blessing. He is peaceful and hopefully having dreams of Mickey Mouse and trucks! His hospital room has transformed. The equipment has slowly been peeled away from the room. I have moved in and joined him. We had a separate room because he was so sensitive to noise when he was intubated. Our nurse ratio has also changed and Logan has to share his nurse with another patient!

We are down to maintenance IV fluids and some IV medications. His feeds continue to advance to get him back up to normal speed. The doctor had his oxygen dropped down earlier but he had to be bumped back up. He did receive Ativan (medication used to calm him) a couple hours ago. He had an episode of pretty bad agitation. He doesn't seem to like to wake up and especially does not want to open his eyes. It reminds me of when we sedate kids in the ER for procedures. They never like to wake up and are very sensitive to light and sound. That's my Logan right now!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day and we will see him perk up. I would just love to see him keep his eyes open and play with his toys. It is torture seeing him upset and uncomfortable. When he had his big episode of agitation, I started to shut down. Nothing I did seemed to help. Finally I must have said the right thing because the nurse went and got an order for Ativan and next thing I knew, the doctor was in the room and they were giving him the medication. I was so pleased to know that they were not afraid to medicate him to help him through this. He needs to rest and relax his airway to allow it to heal from having the tube. Him thrashing in the bed defeats the purpose.

I am so thankful for the support and care they have provided us. I have felt in the loop the entire time and we have been guided through the process step by step by the doctor and nurses. We have been so fortunate to have so much of their undivided attention. They have made us feel that Logan is very important to him and you can tell the staff loves what they do. I just can't say enough of the PICU staff here at St. Cloud Hospital.

So, I am hoping for a restful night for Logan but have a feeling he will be rearing to go when the Ativan wears off. We are looking at possibly being discharged on Thursday. He is progressing at a great pace and no setbacks yet. I will cross my fingers but know that Logan is a fighter and doesn't generally end up sticking around too long once he is back to baseline!

Oh by the way, Joel and I voted today! It was hard to peel away from Logan but it felt good to exercise my right to vote. Now I can't peel myself away from the TV! I will post an update in the morning after we get his chest X-ray and lab results back.

No comments:

Post a Comment