Friday, November 30, 2012

End of Week Recap

Today is day 22 here at Children's Hospital PICU. Logan has come a long way. We started this journey in Brainerd, made a stop in St. Cloud for a few days, and then proceeded down to Minneapolis for the duration of the trip. Our final stop should arrive in a little over a week...HOME!

Logan has gone through a two hour febrile seizure, intubation twice, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and a tracheostomy all in this time. His body has been beat up a few times to say the least. He has made miraculous progress in this time. I am so proud of my little boy. His strength and determination are of super hero status!

This past week has been hectic. Logan has gone from full vent support to minimal vent support this week. He is more awake and Mr. Wiggles is back. The doctor asked Logan's Grandma Cindy if his movements were normal. They were, and had they not been they may have been worried that he was having withdrawal from his medication wean.

I have had an overwhelming week myself. We had tracheostomy class. Both the grandma's, Joel, and myself attended. It was almost eight hours worth of information. We learned a lot of great things but also learned of some limitations that the tracheostomy brings. We didn't even think about how it may change some of the activities Logan participates in such as swimming. We also can't let him play in a sandbox to name a couple of things. We have to adjust once again but it is always hard. Instead we will find things that work for Logan that are just as fun!

For those of you that read my blog post this past week where I basically let it all out, it is getting better. We should have resolution to the hours of nursing we will get this coming week and I was heard by those that needed to know how I felt. We have some great advocates outside of the hospital and within. It is amazing how many people are involved in the care of Logan. I could write a blog post just about the different agencies both private and government, doctors, nurses, therapists, medical equipment/ supplies, respiratory therapy, school programs, and on. I forget how many people  we are connected with. I am so thankful that this team of people around us do their jobs with such passion and skill.

There are a lot of balls in the air and a lot of people juggling them. I have been reminded this week that I am the coordinator of this circus! It is not an easy job. Thankfully we all have the same goal in mind, to get Logan home! As usual, I will keep posting the updates of our progress. It is heading in the fit direction! I am also attaching a couple of photos from this week.


Logan sitting up in a chair for the first time in a couple of weeks


Somehow we managed to get the tree up!


1 comment:

  1. HI Rachel! I will be at the hospital on Monday..do you mind if I stop by for a visit if it works out? It could befor 10:30 or after 11:30..Wow..what a month you have had! My cell phone number is 763-464-1676 if you want to call and talk...I know how crazy it is bringing a child home with a trach. Sounds like he is doing great now..but it is sooo overwhelming. Our email is mmartindale0066@msn.com.

    ReplyDelete