Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tracheostomy Day 2

Logan had a great day today. He seems to have his days and nights mixed up. The nurses had a hard time getting him to sleep last night. I guess he just wants to have a pajama party all night long. For the early part of today he was pretty tuckered out and then started fighting through the sedation. What's new! The doctors and nurses have started weaning his sedation in order to get him to wake up so they can start having him practice breathing on his own.

It is going to take some time to get his lungs up to full strength but I have a feeling he may surprise us! He has a lot of secretions in his trachea which the nurses are working very hard to suction out. We do not want him to develop pneumonia. Once he is awake and able to squirm around and cough (which often is few and far between) he will better be able to manage the secretions. The new tracheostomy will allow us quick, easy, and more comfortable access to his airway to suction when he is aspirating saliva.

Joel is with him right now. I am having some mommy-daughter time tonight and it has been great! We went shopping at Target, and many of you know that is my favorite place to be! It felt great and I felt like things were getting back to normal (a little bit)! Lauren had her ritual icee and I had my eggnog latte. Somehow we got out of there without Lauren asking for a cookie. She must have been too excited about all the Christmas decorations.

Tomorrow Lauren will visit Logan at the hospital. They gave us the green light today. Because she is four years old, she is just under the age limit to be allowed to visit. I am so excited for her to see him. I have been trying to prep her for what she will see. She knows that the "straw" is out of his mouth and I told her he has a new tube in his neck sort of like the tube in his tummy. She asked if white stuff is going into it. "Like milk mom!". I told her it was a little different from that and that it will help him breathe. I am just so proud that she is asking questions. We were looking at some family photos tonight and she started to cry when she saw Logan. She said she missed him. It just breaks my heart but tomorrow couldn't be better timing.

I am hoping to get some great photos tomorrow of the kids. We will be spending the morning and evening with Logan but have decided to go to my aunt's house to spend Thanksgiving dinner. I think it will be really important for Lauren to see both her parents at the gathering as she will remember this holiday more than Logan will. We will give him some quiet rest time and let the nurses spoil him!

For those of you on Facebook. Our friend Carmen has started a facebook page for Logan. It is Team Logan. Check it out if you have time. She is raising money for Logan's medical needs and will be having a benefit for him after the new year. Oh, how thankful we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment