Thursday, November 15, 2012

On the mend

I took a day or two blog break. I hope it didn't upset too many people! It was for a good reason. I didn't have much to say and was too pooped out to write.

Logan is doing great. And I say this as I knock on wood! Logan has had two great days and the doctors are working to wean him down from the nitric oxide he was being given through the ventilator. He seems less sensitive with his breathing and is even having some good rest periods while on the ventilator. Mr. Wiggles always tries to make an appearance despite being on many medications that are all meant to make him rest. Finally he is having times during the day and night where his heart rate is normal and he is snoozing well.

So, all in all he is doing well and there isn't much else to say. The next few days will be more of the same. Continue to wean him of the nitric oxide and then work on weaning him off the high pressure support he is getting from the ventilator. When he is ready and his lungs are more compliant, he will have the tracheotomy. There is no date set as we are continuing to follow Logan's lead. I imagine some time early to mid next week. Things could change and I hate to set myself up for that expectation.

I am exhausted myself. I have spent the week at the hospital and was ready for a break at home. This evening I am home with Lauren and Joel's parents and our dog Molly. I am a little irritable tonight. I look around the house and see all the things that need to be done. I walk by Logan's room and can't bear to walk in. I am still very scared and become overwhelmed when I go in there. I am in need of a good nights rest to recharge my batteries.

Tomorrow is another day and should be a good one. We have had some great visitors and wonderful meals. Thanks Kate for the Greek dinner! Joel loved it! Rachel B, thanks for the chili. I think it is on the menu for lunch tomorrow! We have been so well taken care of by all of the staff and by our friends and family. I just can't say thank you enough. We will continue to need to lean on you all in the coming weeks as this journey is going to have many ups and downs. The tracheotomy procedure is not the end and coming home is going to be difficult.

There is always a period of adjustment coming home. It is like bringing a newborn baby home. There is excitement and apprehension. There are so many unknowns and we will have so many questions about our child's new trach. I know I am jumping ahead but for those who know me, that is what I do. I worry and I plan. Kinda sounds like what most mom's do!

So, tonight I will rest my head while cuddling with my daughter knowing Logan is in great hands and is enjoying his guy time with dad. Thank you Team Logan for continuing to cheer him on!

No comments:

Post a Comment