Monday, November 5, 2012

PICU Day 2 Update

Here is an update on our stay in the pediatric intensive care unit:

Logan has remained intubated, but don't worry he made some good efforts to pull out the tube today! He remains under sedation but wakes up periodically to remind us how strong he really is. His endotracheal tube (breathing tube) has been acting up today. When he was first intubated there was a lot of swelling in his airway. Now the swelling has gone down. That leaves space between the trachea and endotracheal tube for air to escape. It has made him a bit uncomfortable at times as he does attempt to breathe on his own. It also makes a small whooshing noise when he exhales. His oxygen levels have remained good with slight dips at times but nothing significant. The ventilator beeps a lot and they have attempted many adjustments with no success.

So, the new plan for tomorrow is for Logan to get a chest X-ray early in the morning. If that has improved since today, the doctor will shut off his sedation and let him wake up. Once he is awake the doctor will extubate him. This means that the doctor will pull the tube out. Freedom! Unfortunately this comes with risks. He is being extubated a little earlier than planned due to the constant leaking from his endotracheal tube. There is a chance that he may not be ready to be extubated and if that is the case, they will place another endototracheal tube. I have a feeling he is going to do great and will be happy to be free but we are ready for either option.

This evening the doctor had a few lab tests repeated to make sure Logan's system was in the best possible shape before extubation. His potassium was a little low so they have increased the dose he is getting. This isn't a huge deal. The doctor said he wants to have it bumped up because a low potassium often causes lethargy and we certainly don't want him pooped out before the big event. His platelets and hemoglobin have also dropped since admission and can be due to many things but are not at a level of great concern and this will be monitored closely.

His feedings were started again today at a slow rate and he is tolerating well. He is making lots of pee which makes us happy! His vitals are great and his temp has stayed down all evening but he is still getting Tylenol and Motrin. The EEG monitoring is complete and no seizures were detected so we are pretty confident that he had a febrile seizure. He will still go home on an anti seizure medication called Keppra. We will then follow up with his neurologist to see if we should continue it.

His sister Lauren is up north with family and is doing great. She has been playing with her cousin and probably getting pretty worn out in the process. I am so thankful to have such a wonderful family that can pitch in and take her during these times. It is so nice to have her in good hands. She doesn't quite understand what is going on but maybe that is a good thing. I miss her so much and can't wait to see her.

I pray for a restful night for Logan and a successful extubation tomorrow. They are getting ready to let me hold and cuddle him. I am a little giddy right now. Keep you posted on the big event tomorrow.

Update: they let me hold Logan before I published this posting. I didn't realize how much I needed to hold him. For the first couple of minutes I was a ball of nerves. I was so worried about all of the tubes. After I relaxed the emotions hit me. I couldn't stop thinking that the last time I held him, he almost slipped away from me. The last time I held him, he stopped breathing in my arms. That helpless feeling was overwhelming. After a few minutes of good healthy crying I was able to smile and be ever so thankful for the precious gift in my arms. We witnessed a miracle yesterday. When he started to breathe again after the paramedic stimulated his gag, I felt like the moment he took his first breath as a newborn. I now know he had many angels sitting on my shoulders yesterday morning. Logan had Grandma Cindy, Cousin Taylor, and Aunt Leah and Aunt Jeni as his on scene angels! And I know Gigi, Grandpa Gregerson, Grandpa Mervyn, Cousin Sarah, Cody, and probably a few other angels were all there helping me and the paramedics guide Logan through. He is a fighter and is as stubborn as they come. I have no idea where he gets it! So I lay here now with no words left to say other than thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment