Friday, November 9, 2012

Parainfluenza

We have a source of infection...Parainfluenza!

Parainfluenza is a respiratory illness that causes upper and lower respiratory infections such as bronchitis, croup, and sometimes pneumonia. It is most often found in infants and children. It generally causes cold symptoms and in adults is generally mild. Of course Logan is more susceptible to respiratory illnesses!

His chest X-ray was stable today. Today will continue to be a day of rest for Logan. Sedation with versed and morphine still are not enough for Logan. He has been getting bumps of a muscle relaxer often. In an attempt to decrease the use of the muscle relaxer, the doctor added a sedation medication called Precedex. It was working well until he had an arrhythmia (irregular heart beat). The nurse was right on top of it and the doctor suspected it was the Precedex so they stopped it. His heart rate is back to normal now. We are trying to keep his room very quiet and calm hoping that he can rest. He is just so stubborn and has to remind us that he is there. Even with heavy pharmaceuticals, Mr. Wiggles keeps on movin!

His labs have improved including his hemoglobin. The rest of the day will be monitoring and supporting. He looks very peaceful and does not appear in pain. Physical and occupational therapy come daily to stretch him. I wish I had people to come do that for me! He is so spoiled!

Joel and I are having a much better day. Most of the shock is wearing off and our heads are clearer. Aunt Jackie and her boyfriend Mike came to visit and went to pick up Lauren. She is going to go stay with my in laws next week. She seems to be coping well and our daycare provider Debbie said she was telling the kids at daycare all about Logan.

Thanks for the continued prayers and support. I have received a lot of kind messages and cards. I just want everyone know that even if I do not respond, I am reading each one. Words cannot describe how much these gestures mean to me and also to my family. Thanks!

I am going to add a couple of photos from Halloween that I had yet to post. It makes me smile and keeps us strong knowing how amazing Logan is.










No comments:

Post a Comment